National Geographic Traveler magazine has released its annual Best of the World list, which features 21 top travel destinations to visit in 2014. The magazine says the list reflects what’s “authentic, culturally rich, sustainable and superlative” in travel worldwide now.
“The Best of the World list reflects the expertise and experience of National Geographic Travel’s huge network of global travel experts. If you want to explore places worth visiting now, this is a great place to start,” says Keith Bellows, editor in chief of National Geographic Traveler magazine.
Here are the 21 Best destinations in the 2014, according to the Best of the World list (in alphabetical order):
- Alentejo, Portugal
- Arbil, Iraq (pronounced Erbil)
- Bolaven Plateau, Laos
- Cacao Trail, Ecuador
- Cape Verde
- Cathar Country, France
- Cordoba, Argentina
- Derawan Islands, Indonesia (readers’ choice)
- John Muir Trail, Scotland
- Nahanni National Park, Canada
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Northern Territory, Australia
- Nyungwe National Park, Rwanda
- Puglia, Italy
- Ranthambore National Park, India
- Riga, Latvia
- Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Sochi, Russia
See the National Geographic Traveler photos and destination stories at travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2014/.