The Perfect Family Vacation … Belize!
If you know us, you know that we thrive on adventure and showing our little girl the world. So recently spent a week in Caye Caulker, Belize! It was the PERFECT family vacation destination! The motto of the island is “Go Slow” and that we did!
How to Get There
The flights were great! We chose a 2 hour flight from Houston Airport. Most people get there from Miami, Atlanta or Houston. We flew into Belize City and took a water taxi to the island. We recommend the Ocean Ferry Belize ($22 USD/Person ROUND TRIP) kids at least 5 and under are free. There are other companies but we found Ocean Ferry Belize to be ON TIME and VERY reasonably priced.
Where to Stay
We rented a VRBO cottage called Low Caye Cottages. This 850SqFt cottage came with a private shared pool. There are 4 cottages that share the pool but it was all ours all week. We had a 1 bed 1 bath PLUS a huge loft! The kitchen was stocked with all the items you would need! It is located a 5 minute bike ride or a 10 minute walk from the hustle and bustle of the main street.
Because there are NO cars on Caye Caulker you have the options of foot, bike or golf cart taxi to get around. This made for a very calm experience. We definitely recommend finding the taxi driver Nick Jr on the beach at the Ferry! He will take care of you and tell you about some amazing place to eat at! Make sure you get a taxi from the ferry to the place you are staying. Its $5-$10 USD … and WORTH IT. Other wise you are dragging your suitcase down the streets.
On that note…use backpacks! Don’t bring roller bags!
Make sure to rent bikes while you are there! The Low Caye Cottages had bikes to rent for the week, including a 16″ for our little one. They are beach cruisers and rusty from the salt water but its the best way to get around!
Snorkeling with Hicaco Tours!
We went on 2 Snorkeling trips with Carlos at Hicaco TOURS ! Absolutely a 5 star business! Hicaco Tours offers Full Day tours, Half Day tours, Night Tours and anything in between! They are a wealth of knowledge and not just about the reefs and fish, but anything you want to know about the island. We loved our tours with Carlos and his crew! We will definitely be back to see them!
We fell into the island life pretty quickly. There is a nice rhythm of the island:
- Wake up and get breakfast from the local bakery off Middle Street.
- Enjoy some Snorkeling mid morning
- Around lunch, grab a nice Rum Drink with your street tacos
- SIESTA … its HOT in the mid afternoon and its time to a dip in the pool and a nap!
- 3-7ish is Happy Hour…(who doesnt love a good drink special!?)
- We found that many places offer 2 for 1 or 1/2 off… (same same I know, but depends of where you wander into).
- Our favorite was the Sports Bar right off the water and Front Street. We had a boat (literally a wooden boat) of nachos and 3 or 4 drinks each for $16 USD!! We spent 4 of our 6 nights there and met some AMAZING locals!
- After happy hour its dinner time… wander into Rosies for Fresh Grilled fish. We walked up and Isaac had metal trays on a table out front of the restaurant. That was the menu… you walked up and picked out your fish. He took it out and seasoned it and the “grill master” grilled it up for you! We had a whole lobster and a Lion Fish!
- Filled to the brim with Rum and Lobster you head back to your cottage for a evening swim (watch out for the mosquitoes)!
Should You Vacation in Belize?
YES! We can’t say enough wonderful things about this place!